Motivating and Retaining Volunteers
Having worked hard to recruit and select volunteers, sooner or later most people responsible for involving them are faced with the dilemma of how to keep their interest. This workshop will help you to explore ways of being clearer about why people choose to volunteer with you in the first place and identify some innovate ways of keeping them involved.
What will be covered?
- Explore some of the motivating factors that determine why people volunteer and why people choose to stop volunteering.
- Reflect on the importance of understanding the relationship between volunteers’ motivation and the needs of the organisation.
- Examine ways of motivating volunteers and sustaining their involvement.
- Practice at creating motivating tasks and innovative roles for volunteers.
- Identify ways of recognising and rewarding the value of volunteer involvement.
Who should attend this session?
This basic level workshop will provide anyone with responsibility for supporting volunteers with an increased awareness of the importance of assessing why people volunteer in relation to the needs of the organisation, and develop their understanding of how to maximise the value of volunteer involvement.
About the trainer
Lee Shepherd is a qualified trainer with twenty five years experience working in the voluntary & community sector and is part of 3VA’s Community Development Team, specialising in providing support to volunteer involving organisations.